Just a bit of information to get you started!

What do I need to do first?

Book the Celebrant as soon as you know the date, time and location.

How much notice do you need?

The Marriage Act requires at least one calendar month’s notice. However, you should book the Celebrant immediately as there are limits to the number of weddings that can be accommodated.

How do I lodge a Notice of Intention to Marry?

Fill out the form and bring your birth certificates – and death or divorce certificates if previously married. If you were born in Australia you must provide a birth certificate or Australian passports .  If a person was born overseas and is unable to obtain their birth certificate then their overseas passport is acceptable or a Commonwealth Statutory Declaration can be prepared for them if they have neither passport nor evidence of birth.

Download the Notice of Intended Marriage form

Should we have music?

Personal preference, but it does add to the occasion. Usually on arrival, during the signing and after the presentation of the married couple. The couple organises their own music and player. Check with the celebrant and/or the venue.

How do I sign the register?

Your normal, maiden name or if divorced or widowed, previous married name signature is required for the bride.  Signatures on all documents must match.

How long does a ceremony take?

Depending on the content, a short ceremony would be 10 – 15 minutes and a longer ceremony anywhere from 20 -45 mins.

Can I have my children give me away?

Anyone can ‘give the bride away’, including children.

How much does a celebrant charge for a wedding ceremony?

Fees vary from celebrant to celebrant but be aware that professional celebrants will put quite an amount of work into your ceremony and will require you to pay them accordingly.

Enquire now

Where do celebrants perform ceremonies?

In all locations throughout the state and the country but of course the more travel and the greater amount of time involved, the costs will increase accordingly.

I come from overseas – can aspects of my culture be built into my ceremony?

You most certainly can. The Marriage Act is specific about the necessary content that is required to be included in your ceremony and provided that they are in your ceremony all other content is open to your specific requirements.

What documents do I need to be able to marry?

There are several documents that may be required depending on your particular situation. You are required to present for sighting your birth certificate or an authorized translation of the document prior to your marriage taking place. You might also required to present photo ID as requested by the celebrant. If you are unable to access your birth certificate and you were born in an overseas country, your overseas passport is sufficient proof of identity, provided that it has not been cancelled. Australian citizens can provide their passport, or even an expired passport (but not cancelled).

Have a question not answered here? Get in touch.

Enquire now